Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Recipe Blog

It's 1pm and I just finished making mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. I can either make them now while Juliet's asleep or try to make them with her "help" at dinner time :) Roast is in the crock pot so dinner's taken care of for tonight. Hooray!

Meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking has felt more like a chore lately than a hobby. I like to cook, but am finding it hard to keep up with life and get dinner on the table on a nightly basis ... some days (like today) I'm in the groove and get things done during nap time when I should, but other days 4 pm rolls around and I haven't even thought about dinner. Those days I pray we have a frozen pizza in the freezer :) I don't know why, but eating a home cooked meal as a family makes me happy and while I don't beat myself up about the occasional frozen pizzas or fast food meals we eat, I just prefer cooking ... and therefore am trying to make it something that's doable (and maybe even enjoyable again) and not a daily struggle.

A while back, I made a private blog where I had intended to put recipes we liked. This never materialized as I was too lazy to type up recipes. Then people start asking me for recipes and I had to write/type them up. Then my sister Danielle got married and I wanted to get her some good recipes. And, much to my dismay, Monday comes every week and I sit down and try to come up with an exciting menu for the upcoming week!

So, the recipe blog is reborn! I am going to give the following my best effort for the next 4 months in an effort to prepare us for what is sure to be a hectic 2010 with the arrival of baby #2:
  • Blog my weekly menus with a grocery list. The point of the list is so that next February, when I'm exhausted and caring for a screaming baby, I can look at my menus, pick one, print off the grocery list, and send my sweet husband to the store. I love this idea every time I think about it :)
  • Blog as many recipes from the menus as I can. These are all recipes we have tried and liked enough to make again.
I wasn't going to share my blog with you all ... honestly, I just didn't think anyone would be interested in reading it. Then Tiff started one and I figured if I was interested in reading her recipe blog maybe she'd be interested in reading mine! So, this is for Tiff ... and anyone else that is interested in the Schulte Family Recipes!

It's a work in progress to say the least, but I'm optimistic that if I keep at it, it will make my life easier in the months to come!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Dude, I am interested! Frozen pizza is a once-a-week thing in our house lately too. :( Sometimes I just can't get it together. The grocery list idea is pure brilliance. Consider yourself added to google reader. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie